FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Who are we?
The Friends of the Mississauga Library is a volunteer, non-profit citizens’ organization established in 1989. Its main purpose is to promote literacy and extend the programs and services of the library system within the community.
This mission is achieved by the following activities:
- Supplementing library programs and services
- Mounting advocacy campaigns
- Raising funds from private sources
- Providing volunteer labour
- Creating a program for membership development
Since its inception, the Friends of the Mississauga Library has donated over $2.5 million in funds and volunteer hours to support the programs and services of Mississauga’s libraries.
The Friends of the Mississauga Library raises money through the sale of donated new and used books, membership fees, and the generous financial donations made by individuals and businesses.
What do we do?
Here are a few of the many programs and services that the Friends have funded:
- Sponsored many school class visits to local libraries
- Sponsored Peel District School Board’s Literacy Conference
- Sponsored over 575 author visits to all library branches
- Sponsored The Mississauga Region Spelling Bee
- Celebrated our literary arts with the Local Authors’ Night
- Supplied furniture and equipment to all branches
- Sponsored media advertisements for the Library
- Awarded their annual Library Education Bursary
- Sponsored the outdoor summer reading room at the Central Library
- Hosted their annual Canada Day book sale
- Donated unwanted materials around the province and the world
- Sponsored “Our Heritage Series” by local author and historian Kathleen Hicks
How you can help the Mississauga Library System
- Join the Friends of the Mississauga Library.
- Your annual support entitles you to advance notice of programs and activities exclusive to members, as well as timely news about special events.
- Donate books; give the gift of reading.
- Support our “adopt-a-book” programs by donating from your own collection. These will be sold and the funds raised will go to enhance literacy and library use.
- Donate a collection or rare books.
- The library welcomes gifts in kind of art, furniture, rare books or first editions, to be enjoyed by all library users daily.
- Become a sponsor.
- The library welcomes businesses and organizations to sponsor events and programs.
- Become a volunteer and help support our cause. The library welcomes adult and student volunteers who work to promote its activities and literacy in Mississauga.